Tuesday, November 2, 2010

WEEK 11, POST 1



In chapter 10, Too Much Emotional the idea of appeal to emotion is well, pretty self explanatory. It appeals to.. you know.. your emotions. I feel like the appeal to emotion is one of the strongest appeals you can use in an arguments. Everyone has an opinion on everything whether it is good or bad or maybe with no opinion at all. 
The appeal to fear strikes me the most. It was used a lot growing up in a strict family.
“You should finish your food before you get the slipper!” (If you haven’t figured it out already, I’m Filipino. And don’t worry, I turned out fine. haha) My dad’s argument heavily persuaded me to finish my food because if I didn’t, I would be punished. Appeal to fear isn’t really a good way to persuade your audience though. You would be able to persuade them but you don’t know what the repercussions are. Your audience might not like your or trust you anymore. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your post about appeal to fear. It is used whether we like it or not and it really is not the best way to improve your argument. i like how you mention that they might be persuaded by you, but at the same time they might have a lesser opinion about you after that. you made it current by using the example of being punished if you didnt finish your food when you were growing up. i think that everyone can relate to this in some extent because all families had some sort of system like that. i remember if i didnt do the dishes when i was told to that i would get my computer or video game systems taken away. good post.

    ReplyDelete