Tuesday, October 5, 2010

WEEK 7, POST 2

In chapter 6, Epstein discusses conditionals. (Another thing I learned in philosophy, how convenient!)
“A claim is conditional if it can be rewritten as an ‘if....then...’ claim that must have the same truth-value. ‘If A then B’, the claim A is the antecedent and the claim B is the consequent” (Epstein, 121).
I’m really bad at remember things so the way I formed the relationship between “If A and B” and antecedent and consequent is that the letter A comes before the letter B. So, A = antecedent and B = consequent. And it also helps that antecedent starts with the letter A. 
Having that said, If you raise your voice with me, I will get mad. If you raise your voice with me is the antecedent. I will get mad is the consequent. Also, think of consequent as consequence, like the end result. Example: If you don’t drink water for a long period of time, you will get dehydrated. Getting dehydrated is the consequence of not drinking water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment