Thursday, October 21, 2010

WEEK 9, POST 1

For our second paper, Critical Thinking and Social Organizations was a bit more difficult than the first. Working on the paper in general as a group, made my group realize that we couldn’t just talk online like we did last time. It was really hard to communicate and it was difficult to discuss in-depth topics via email. As a group, we decided that meeting in person would be better so we could get feedback from each other right away. That’s kind of why I feel like we have group communications book. But getting into the assignment part, it really made us think about what we learned in the book. Instead of regurgitating information, we had to apply the concepts and find the answers on the website instead of the bolded words in the book. I liked the the assignment asked what advertising techniques used to promote the chosen organization. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! (:
    I agree that it was way more easier and less complicated to meet in person rather than having our group meetings via internet. This assignment did make us think about the concepts in the book. Looking at each thing one by one and trying to see how our organization used it, made it more clear and understandable. It's interesting how various companies use different tactics to lure their audience in. After trying to figure out what the different artifacts were. I started to use these concepts when I see advertisements and such on a daily basis. I realized that most ads either use appeal to emotion to hook people into buying certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy! I agree with your post and heedeeko post as well. On the last assignment my group and I only kept in contact via email and chatrooms. When we got our grade back from the last paper we received a low B grade. So this time we actually met up on campus and it did help a lot with assigning roles to each person and discussing the paper. For the hour that we met up on campus we were able to get more info out of each other then a week of emailing back and fourth. Meeting up in person was a lot easier to get information out of people instead of having to email my group and waiting for them to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first enrolled for the class I wondered how we were going to talk about group communication if we just met online. Not to say this can’t be accomplished online or via chat room, but as you found out, it is much easier if the groups meet in-person, have eye-to-eye contact, and determine assignments face-to-face. For our group I believe this has allowed us to build a relationship were we can openly discuss ideas and ask questions that may be more difficult to discuss via email or chat, because of the length of writing to clarify. I am a little confused by the definition of our next assignment, but I have enjoyed working with my group so I’m sure it will turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that it is much easier meeting in person to discuss the project compared to trying to discuss the elaborate subjects via email, text, etc. for the second assignment we met in person as a group and it went much smoother because we could actually discuss the topic in real time rather than waiting for email responses or even text responses. I was thinking the same when I enrolled into the class. How exactly was it going to work? Meeting face to face is much easier when doing a project because it cuts out all of the hassles.

    ReplyDelete