Monday, October 4, 2010

WEEK 7, POST 1

In Chapter 6 of Esptein’s book, the different contradictions of claims were very interesting. It reminded me of philosophy class I took a few semesters back. 
There are 3 different types of contradictions of claims: contradictory of a claim, contradictory of an or claim, and contradictory of an and claim. To make it look easier: claim, or claim, and claim. 
The contradictory of a claim is basically the opposite of what the claim is saying. 
For example:
Claim: Nicole’s hair is long.
Contradictory: Nicole’s hair isn’t long. 
This one is pretty easy to understand. You just say the opposite: The sky is blue. The sky is not blue. Kind of like an annoying little sibling that contradicts everything you say. 
The contradictory of an or claim is “A or B has contradictory not A and not B” (Esptein 115). 
Example:
Claim: Nicole will either run over Matt or Matt will run over Nicole.
Contradictory: Nicole won’t run over Matt, and Matt won’t run over Nicole. 
Basically, with or claims, you have to put “and” in the contradictory. 
The contradictory of an and claim is “A and B has contradictory not A or not B” (Epstein, 115).
Example:
Claim: Jack can’t drink milk, but Nicole can.
Contradictory: Jack can’t drink milk, or Nicole can drink milk. 
I’m still a little confused on the third one, it doesn’t really make sense to me since the word format is very new to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I like how your explain about the three different types of contradictions of claims. It is very descriptive and easy to understand. The examples are straightforward and simple as well. This post really helps me understands the concept of contradictions of claims more. It obvious that you understand this material much better than I do. Anyway, I also agree with you about the third example because it confused me as well. The example is pretty similar to my example which you pointed out in my post. I believe that I was mixed up with the contradictory of an "and" claim with the "or" claim. Anyway, this was a great post it's really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I totally agree with ^Phat on this one. I really like your examples on the three different contradictions of claims. I feel like the smaller the example, the easier it is for me to fully grasp it and retain what it means. So way to downsize them for me! I think somethign that can help with your number three is this part : A and B has contradictory not A or not B.
    You have to be really careful reading these silly directions, but this differs from the 2nd rul because it sayd A "AND" B has contradictory. That means that both have to contradict, therefore, for your example, it would be saying Jack CAN drink milk and Nicole CANT drink milk.

    Hopefully that helps (:

    ReplyDelete